Sunday, June 3, 2018

Cross Cultural Glitches

I'm not a very good selfie taker.  But I learned today that you can use the volume button to take the pic.  Welcome to the 21st century, Dra. Lisa!

We get such a kick out of listening to the students tell us about their adventures living with host families.  Most of the best ones center around language miscommunications and food and bathrooms, haha! 

Lori: "My family serves me Pepsi every night with my dinner because they asked me if I liked Pepsi, and I didn't understand what they were saying, so I just said, 'yes'.  I don't really like Pepsi."

Lori: "I think I may have told my host family that my dad had died. (He hasn't)."

Ian: "Every night, my host mom serves me 5 tamalitos with my meal.  But I can only eat one. Last night she served me 4 tamalitos.  After I ate one she walked by and said, 'just eat one more'."

Sam: "I was offered a mango but my host dad told me not to eat the side that was too soft.  After cutting around it and eating some, I noticed that is had some little worms moving around in it.  I showed it to him and he said, 'that might possibly be a worm'."
Lori, Brandt and Sam getting ready to dive into a delicious bowl of caldo de gallina criolla (patio-raised chicken soup) and tamalitos wrapped in corn leaves.
Bethany: "My host sisters wait for me to eat then accompany me out to the outhouse with their little flashlight.  When I'm inside they turn it off and they wait in the dark.  Then they flip it back on when I'm done to walk me back to my room."

Brandt: "Last night I had to make a bathroom run and after getting to the outhouse my phone battery (ie. flashlight) died.  I had to make it back up the hill in the dark and I dropped my toilet paper and had to fetch it as it unrolled its way down the hill."

We challenged everyone to eat all of their chicken down to the bone.  Everyone did great!  So proud of these guys!

No comments: