Wednesday, May 7, 2008

When all else fails - "Strike!"

I just found out today that most of the distribution trucks of Guatemala have been on strike since Monday. I guess this is what happens when you do not have TV or radio. This means that no gas and many other items that are imported from the port are not making it around the country or Guatemala City. And items to be exported are not making it to port. To get to either coast one must pass through Guatemala City, there is not good highway that bypasses Guatemala City.

Apparently there are some complaints about the times the trucks can enter the city and since there has been no resolutions, the owners of the trucks have stopped service. According to the national paper there are multiple lines of trucks up to 5 kilometers long where they have stopped on the side of the highways living little room for regular travelers to pass as well. It states there are around 3,100 containers that ship out of port daily and most of those are affected by the strike - with over 300 containers of fruit that are just rotting on the highway.

For the casual observer this seems trivial and is causing all kinds of problems; however, for the drivers and owners of the trucks I am sure they are concerned for their safety traveling at night, etc. Hopefully this will come to resolution soon.

Today in Guatemala City everyone flocked to the gas stations to fill up. I was out around 11am and noticed all of the 100's of people at the gas stations and wondered what was happening and that is when I found out. I did not feel like braving the gas stations but now thinking that was a bad decision. All of the gas stations I passed this afternoon are out of gas. I am hoping that outside the city is not too much of a problem as tomorrow I head to Chichi and my vehicle was in the shop until this afternoon. I think I may have enough gas to either make it to Chichi or most of the way - so just hope the problems does not extend everywhere.

Of course this will now cause most of the daily needs to increase - food, gas, clothing, you name it which will probably cause another strike. Another day in the life of a Guatemalan. Pray for quick resolution and that it does not affect the vast majority of the population very much.

Here are some photos of the highways.




Here is a gas station photo from yesterday - today was worse:


No comments: